We have great news! APS has received money so that they can provide food for all students in Albuquerque, even charter school students. Please see the information below and also at this link (https://www.aps.edu/schools/aps-reentry-plan/reentry-plan-news/aps-to-offer-free-grab-go-meals-to-all-children) for when that food is dispersed and from where. Thank you!
APS to Offer Free Grab & Go Meals to All Children
This includes toddlers and preschoolers, children who don’t attend APS schools, and those who normally don’t qualify for free meals. No tickets required.
Beginning Sept. 8, Albuquerque Public Schools will provide grab and go meals to anyone 18 years of age and under, and APS families will no longer need school-issued tickets to pick up meals. The district is able to make the changes because the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which provides funding for school meals, extended its summer meals program through Dec. 31.
“This is a great relief for families throughout our community, including those with young children and those who might not qualify for free meals but are still going through a tough time due to the pandemic,” said APS Chief Operations Officer Gabriella Blakey. “We want to make sure no child goes hungry, and we are able to eliminate the burden of exchanging tickets for meals.”
Families can pick up a week’s worth of meals for each child on Mondays at any APS comprehensive high school as well as at Rudolfo Anaya Elementary School. APS plans to add more meal distribution sites in the coming weeks.
Next week, meals will be distributed on Tuesday, Sept. 8, due to the Labor Day holiday.
Meal Pickup Schedule
- Mondays from 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. or 4-5:30 p.m. at any of the 13 APS comprehensive high schools.
- Mondays from 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. only at Rudolfo Anaya Elementary.
- Families will pick up a week’s worth of meals.
- Rudolfo Anaya Elementary, 2800 Vermejo Park Dr. SW
Morning and Afternoon
- Albuquerque High – student parking off Odelia
- Atrisco Heritage – student parking lot off 118 St.
- Cibola – north student parking lot off Ellison
- Del Norte – student parking lot off San Mateo
- Eldorado – student parking lot off Juan Tabo
- Highland – student parking off Silver
- La Cueva – student parking lot off Alameda
- Manzano – student parking lot off Lomas
- Rio Grande – student parking lot at the corner of Arenal and Los Faisanes
- Sandia – student parking at the corner of Pennsylvania and Candelaria
- Valley – drop off loop off Candelaria
- Volcano Vista – parking lot off Rainbow
- West Mesa – parking lot off Glenrio
Guidelines for Families
- APS asks families to wear a face-covering when picking up meals, like a homemade mask or a scarf. Face coverings are not required, and families without face coverings may still pick up meals
- APS requests that you do not bring animals to the Grab and Go sites, including in your cars.